POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Heightfields to isosurfaces? : Re: Heightfields to isosurfaces? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:18:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Heightfields to isosurfaces?
From: scott
Date: 9 Dec 2008 04:39:02
Message: <493e3cb6$1@news.povray.org>
> heightfields inevitably look "blocky", so I ask myself whether it is
> possible to convert the height value matrix of a heightfield by
> "cross-approximating" each row and column into a discrete 3D function like
> it is used with isosurfaces...

You can do that, but if you have more than a few data points on each
row/column your isosurface function is going to become horrendous and very
slow to render.

Did you consider using the "bicubic_patch" object in POV?  Maybe you could
find (or write) some code to convert each heightfield cell into a bicubic
patch, this would then still look very smooth even if you got very close.